Safety Tips for Travelers: What to Do if Disaster StrikesMarch 22, 2016
Our hearts go out to the people of Belgium and all those affected by the recent attacks. These are stark reminders of the importance of standing strong, carrying on, and embracing the people andÂ beauty within our reach. We are still proponents of leisure travelÂ for learning about and engaging with people ofÂ other cultures. But taking precautions must be a top priority. There are things you can do before and during a trip abroad, to take care of yourself and those traveling with you, and to keep your friends and family apprised of your whereabouts should a serious incident occur while you are traveling.
- Stay connected – meaning before you leave make sure your cell phone plan has the correct plan for you to use it abroad.
- Use social media – while you may usually stay quiet on social media while you are traveling, if a serious attack occurs in a location you’re visiting, there are tools for usingÂ Facebook to let your friends and family know your status. See Facebook Safety Check. Hashtags for events come about immediately, and by following these, you can get relevant updates.
- Review safety tips provided by experts, before your trip, so you can act quickly if needed. You can askÂ one ofÂ us or research online. Some helpful articles: What to Do If You’re Abroad During an AttackÂ andÂ Keeping Your Family Safe During a Terrorist Attack
- Register for updates and be aware of travel alerts. Some resources:Â Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)Â and Alerts and Warnings from the State Department.
- Get travel insurance, and be sure it covers acts of terror and other violent acts. We recommend Travelex, an insurance company well-versed in protecting your travel investment.
- Be practical, but not alarmist –Â Is it safe to travel to Paris and other European cities?
Sadly, there are times when tragedy befalls travelers despiteÂ the best planning and diligence. IfÂ no catastrophesÂ occur – as is still theÂ vast majority of trips – you can focus on enjoyingÂ theÂ trip secure in the knowledge that you’re prepared.
Photo:Â Polo match at the Campo Argentino de Polo in Palermo, courtesy of Tina Montana.
- Italy! Florence, Tuscany, Positano & Rome Favorites
- Bucket List Dreams Come True at Banyan Tree Resorts!
- Gifts Travelers Will Love
- Top 5 Reasons You Need a Travel Advisor
- What Great Benefits Do a Travel Agents Provide?
- The Girlsâ€™ Weekend Away Guide to Nashville (in Search of Hot Chicken and Cool Musicâ€¦)
- Safety Tips for Travelers: What to Do if Disaster Strikes
- The Weather’s Always Great in Anguilla!
- Tips for Planning a Vacation in Africa
- Top Ski Resorts for Winter Getaways
Your Travel Experts
Experience, a love of travel, and leveraging theirÂ connections helps our consultants create wonderful vacations for travelers! For generations, we’ve provided outstanding personal service while continually adapting to changes in traveler interests & needs, technology, and the industry.Â Meet our team here.
Â PCI Compliant
Special Travel Programs
Virtuoso: As a member of this exclusive travel consortium, we provide clients with preferred hotels rates, outstanding travel amenities, complimentary upgrades, and more.
Hotel Partnerships: We’re an elite partner of The Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, Starwood, Sofitel, and other topÂ hotel brands. This can benefit you moreÂ than individual rewards systems or online deals.
Authorized Disney Vacation Planner: We expertly plan superb Disney resort and cruiseÂ trips for multi-generational groups with travelers coming from all over, honeymoons, spring training, and more. We’ll help you make the most of every moment!
Ready for your next vacation?
Get in touch with a Travelong representative to see how we can plan your next vacation.